AssetSonar with Jira Service Desk
Integrate the AssetSonar app with your Jira Service Desk (SD) Server to add powerful IT asset management capabilities to your support and ticketing processes. Lower hardware downtime by speeding up issue resolution.
- Need for the integration
- Complete issue overview
- Common workflows
- Installation process
5.1. Install the AssetSonar app
5.2. Enable the Jira Integration from AssetSonar
5.3. Choose Asset Attributes
- How the integration works
6.1. Link Assets to Issue
6.2.Navigate to the Item Details Page from Jira
- Troubleshooting errors
This integration requires:
- A licensed subscription to Jira SD Server
- A subscription to AssetSonar
- AssetSonar app for Jira Server from Atlassian Marketplace
2. Need for the integration
Companies using an IT service desk have to track dozens of issues at a time to fend off delays in company tasks. Most IT service desks aren’t equipped to handle asset details in a comprehensive manner. Thus, cross-referencing items with issues becomes a burden that keeps on stacking.
Imagine being able to extract all relevant IT asset details needed to resolve an issue — without having to switch between browser tabs! By integrating AssetSonar with the Jira SD Server, you can ensure quick resolution of all IT asset-related issues. With quick issue resolution, you lower IT equipment downtime. This ensures that your company’s productivity never falters.
Our integration with Jira SD Server gives you the extensibility and high security of the On-Premise server, whilst making service management more seamless for your IT infrastructure.
3. Complete issue overview
Integrating AssetSonar with Jira On Premise enables teams to quickly identify tasks at hand. These include issues associated with each item and useful details such as item location and AINs.
With this integration, you can:
- View the Assets and reporter linked with an issue in Jira. This helps employees quickly view relevant Asset details to understand the problem areas in depth. They can also associate more items if the issue requires.
- Track all Jira issues related to an item directly from the Item Details page in your AssetSonar account. A Jira Issues tab on the page links to all the issues for the item so AssetSonar users can view all relevant issues.
With a complete overview of issues, users can record equipment details and check out replacement items when needed. Extract better insights into an item’s useful life by referring to the issues it has contended with in the past.
Use our integration to iron out operational workflows. You can also cut down on troubleshooting time for a more productive office environment.
4. Common workflows
- An employee notices a broken printer and reports an issue. AssetSonar tracks Asset details for the printer and Jira tracks the issue workflow.
- An on-field technician requires help with operating a router. The current user quickly views the issue on Jira and pulls the Asset details for the User.
- A customer requests a RAM upgrade for their laptop. The IT Helpdesk looks up the issue on Jira, pulls up the Asset details for the laptop from AssetSonar, and identifies the upgrade required. All prior issues reported for the laptop are also visible.
- An engineer wants to understand the maintenance requirements for your server unit. He quickly pulls all the relevant issues for the unit from your AssetSonar Account.
- An IT manager wants to update a software application on all company laptops. She creates the issue on Jira and links all company machines to it. Employees in charge will pull up Asset details for all laptops from the service desk and carry out the updates.
5. Installation process
Follow these steps to install and integrate Jira On-Premise with AssetSonar.
Note: For the integration to work, ensure that the Account Owner in AssetSonar is present as an Admin in Jira. Ensure this is the case before you try integrating the two applications.
5.1. Install AssetSonar For Jira SD Server
First, set up the AssetSonar App from your Jira Account.
1. Install AssetSonar For Jira Service Desk (link this to AS app for Jira Server on Atlassian marketplace) from the Atlassian Marketplace.
2. From your Jira Account, head to Settings → Manage Apps. You’ll find AssetSonar under User-installed Apps.
3. Hit the ‘Configure’ button.
4. Fill in the data fields with the following:
- Your AssetSonar Subdomain with the host i.e. “business.assetsonar.com”.
- Your ‘Secret key’. Get it from AssetSonar Settings → Add Ons → Jira Integration. It will look like “1ff36c45c8b412d11bb74e92e701901”.
5. Click ‘Save’.
5.2. Enable the Jira integration from AssetSonar
Next, enable Jira from AssetSonar. Note that only Account Owners in AssetSonar have permission to do this.
1. Log in to your AssetSonar account to enable the Jira Integration. Go to Settings → Add Ons → Jira Integration. Select ‘Jira Server’ and click the ‘Enable Jira Server Integration’ button.
This action will refresh the Add Ons page and enable the integration.
5.3. Choose Asset Attributes
When connecting Jira from AssetSonar, you can also choose which Asset Attributes to display in Jira. From Settings → Add Ons → Jira Integration, click on ‘Configure Attributes’.
A new dialog will prompt you to make your attribute selections. Once done, click on ‘Save this view’ to save the changes.
6. How the integration works
If you’ve successfully integrated the two applications, you are now ready to create new issues and link them with relevant Assets.
6.1. Link Assets with issue
To link Assets with an issue, click on the highlighted icon.
You can search Assets in teh company catalog using filters including but not limited to the following:
- Asset (Name, Item #, AIN)
2. Group Name
3. Location Name
Next, select the Link icon against the relevant Asset that you wish to associate with a Jira issue.
Additionally, you can link however many Assets with an issue as you like. Once linked, expand the Asset to view its details and verify linkages. You can ‘Unlink’ (blue icon) an Asset whenever you like.
6.2. Navigate to the Item Details Page from Jira
If you’d like to head to an Asset Details page in AssetSonar, click on the highlighted icon as shown.
This will open AssetSonar in your browser. Scroll down the Item Details page to see all the Jira issues linked with the Asset.
7. Troubleshooting Errors
Error 1: Invalid Setting
“Unable to display Asset details as you’ve provided an invalid AssetSonar Subdomain or Token. To update, go to Settings → Manage Apps. From here, find the installed AssetSonar App and hit ‘Configure’.”
Solution: This usually happens when the subdomain for Jira is changed in AssetSonar or a custom domain is added. To fix it, go to your Jira account and update the settings in the AssetSonar App.
Note: Existing data will NOT be affected by resetting the connection.
Error 2: User Doesn’t Exist
“Unable to display Asset details as this user does not exist in AssetSonar. Add the user to your AssetSonar account and assign them the same email address as in Jira.”
Solution: This happens when a user in Jira doesn’t exist in AssetSonar. To remedy this, create this user in AssetSonar and assign them the same email address as they have in Jira.
Error 3: Access Control
“Unable to display Asset details since you aren’t authorized to view them as per your AssetSonar Settings. Contact the Account Owner for authorization.”
Solution: Your user role in AssetSonar does not allow you access to the concerned Asset. Contact the Account Owner for permission to view.
Error 4: Unknown Errors
“There was a problem accessing the data. Please try again later. If the problem persists, email us at email@example.com.”
Solution: This can happen for two reasons.
- While installing the AssetSonar app from Jira, you’ve provided an invalid Access Token or AssetSonar subdomain. To troubleshoot, define your app configurations again from Jira.
- When the subdomain for the account is changed in AssetSonar or a custom domain is added. To fix this, provide the updated subdomain in your Jira app configurations.