You can automate periodic backups of your data using AssetSonar’s Microsoft OneDrive Integration. This allows you to seamlessly synchronize copies of your data to OneDrive account of your choice. You can also export default and custom reports to OneDrive so you can share data with your employees more conveniently.
- What is Microsoft OneDrive?
- How can you benefit from AssetSonar’s Microsoft OneDrive integration?
- Enabling data backups
- Accessing your backup data
- What kind of data is backed up?
- Syncing documents to OneDrive
- Exporting reports to OneDrive
1. What is Microsoft OneDrive?
Microsoft OneDrive is a file hosting and synchronization service operated by Microsoft as part of its web version of Office. It enables users to store files and personal data like Windows settings or Bitlocker recovery keys in the cloud, share files, and sync files across mobile devices, Windows and macOS computers, and applications such as AssetSonar.
2. How can you benefit from AssetSonar’s Microsoft OneDrive integration?
Our intuitive integration with Microsoft OneDrive offers various benefits. These include:
- Free storage: You can sync all the data, images, and documents uploaded in your AssetSonar account to your OneDrive account for free storage of up to 15 GB.
- Easy organization: In OneDrive, files are organized by modules to which they belong i.e. Asset, Bundle, Purchase Order, Cart, etc. This makes it easier to sift through backed up data.
- Real-time updates with Office: As a Microsoft platform, OneDrive works closely with Microsoft Office applications, such as Word or PowerPoint. So if you wish to edit a laptop user manual uploaded in AssetSonar, you can do so in real-time by opening the document in OneDrive and editing it Word Online.
- Social networks: OneDrive’s web version can be linked to different social networks. This allows the sharing of files with colleagues. Permissions can be set for each user from read-only to complete access to editing documents.
3. Enabling Data Backups
To enable the integration, go to Settings → Add Ons → Data Backup, click on ‘Add OneDrive Account’, and hit ‘Update’ to save settings.
This will prompt you to sign in to your Microsoft account. Accept the access permissions.
That’s it, you are set to use this feature!
The integration is now enabled. You can schedule data backups on a daily basis by selecting the option shown below:
If you wish to update the credentials of your Microsoft OneDrive account, you can do so by clicking on the ‘Update your account details’ button.
4. Accessing your backup data
Once the Add On has been enabled, you will be able to view periodic backups of your data as .csv files in your OneDrive account. CSV is a common data storage and exchange format that is compatible with most applications including Microsoft Excel, Google docs, etc.
Automated periodic backups will only take place if you have checked the option ‘Run a data backup daily’ under OneDrive account details in Settings → Add Ons → Data Backup. Otherwise, you’ll have to manually sync your data backups.
5. What kind of data is backed up?
- All active Assets (all except for the retired ones) with all their data points
- All Inventory items
- All Inventory transactions (line items)
- All Asset checkout and check-in transactions
6. Syncing documents to OneDrive
You can also use our OneDrive integration to keep backups of all your important documents. Of course, the Add On must be enabled. To do so, go to More → Documents → Export → OneDrive, and sync all your documents to OneDrive.
Note: The sync has a limit of a hundred documents per day. To sync the rest of your documents, generate a new request the next day.
The documents will go into folders such as Asset, Bundle, PO, Cart, etc. This helps you stay organized when sifting through all your records.
7. Exporting reports to OneDrive
Similarly, you have the ability to export any report to OneDrive from within the Report Details page. After running a report you would have the ability to select ‘Export’ (see below) and choose the ‘OneDrive’ option. Once you do that, our system will create a CSV file of the report and upload it to your OneDrive account seamlessly.
AssetSonar is the leading hardware asset management software that integrates with Microsoft Intune. It is used by IT-intensive organizations and businesses all over the globe.
Sign up today for a free 15-day trial.