Kandji is a powerful Apple Mobile Device Management (MDM) software that can fully accommodate the regulatory demands of new and emerging businesses. With a huge library of pre-built controls and easy setup workflows, Kandji helps you manage iOS and macOS devices within your organization. It automatically stores granular details regarding device usage and information on logged in users — enhancing visibility and reducing manual effort. The ability to enforce compliance standards, gain actionable insights, and optimize the device usage results in better cost management and overall operational efficiency.
- Benefits of AssetSonar’s Kandji Integration
- Enabling Kandji Integration
- Scheduling Syncs
- Creating a Custom Report
- Creating Provisioning Rules
Benefits of AssetSonar’s Kandji Integration
Our integration with Kandji benefits IT professionals, System Administrators, and Network Managers from various industries including technology, healthcare, education, and retail. Here is how this integration can help your organization:
- Centralized asset tracking: Since AssetSonar imports data from multiple Apple MDMs, you can create an accurate repository of Apple devices in your organization. In addition, you can track these devices from a centralized platform, making it simpler for you to create assignment rules and custom reports.
- Enhanced device management: IT professionals can leverage this integration to automatically sync devices and populate device information from Kandji to AssetSonar, automate workflows, set up policies, and enforce compliance standards, such as password requirements, data encryption, and remote wipe capabilities, all from a single dashboard.
- Improved security: The ability to monitor and manage device security settings helps ensure that all devices comply with company security policies and regulatory requirements.
- Increased productivity: The integration enables IT teams to automate patch management, software distribution, and other routine tasks, freeing up time for IT staff to focus on more strategic initiatives.
- Optimized cost management: By providing a complete picture of their device inventory and usage, IT teams can optimize their device usage, reduce hardware and software waste, and avoid unnecessary purchases, leading to better cost management.
Let’s walk you through some basic steps on how to enable the Kandji integration!
Enabling Kandji Integration
To enable the integration, follow the pathway: Settings → Add Ons → Kandji Integration and select ‘Enabled’.
Clicking on ‘Enabled’ will reveal a new setting requiring you to ‘Add Credentials’ so you can fill in your Kandji account’s information.
Here is a glimpse of the dialog box that appears:
The API URL and Token required to enable this integration can be generated from your Kandji account. Log in to Kandji and follow these steps to fetch the relevant information:
- From your Kandji dashboard, click on ‘Settings’ on the left panel and then click on ‘Access’ tab.
2. Scroll down to the API token section click on ‘Add Token’.
3. A pop up will appear where you will need to add the name and description of the new API token. Hit ‘Create’.
4. Another overlay will appear from where you can copy your API token. Check the box below and then click ‘Next’.
5. Clicking the ‘Next’ button will open up a new pop up asking you to manage API permissions. Please mind that failure to check these permissions might result in a failed integration. Here is a glimpse of the latest dialog box:
6. Click on ‘Configure’ and a new Permissions page will open up. Scroll down to the Device section and check the following boxes:
- Device details
- Application list
- Device list
7. Click on ‘Save’ and then return to the Access tab. From the API Token section, copy the URL and paste this URL and the previously copied API Token into the AssetSonar settings.
Note: While filling out the information to AssetSonar setting, add https:// to the URL if not already added.
Once you have successfully added the API Token and URL to the Kandji settings in AssetSonar, also check the box to allow sync every 24 hours before hitting Update.
Once you have successfully updated the setting, more options for Kandji integration will appear.
- Sync IT assets will allow you to sync computer devices
- Sync mobile assets will include the syncing of iPads and iOS devices
- Sync TVOS assets will allow you to sync Apple TV
You can check one or more of these options. Clicking on the ‘Sync Now’ button will allow you to manually sync the devices.
Once the sync is complete, you will get an email with detailed information on how many assets have been synced successfully, and how many were updated in the latest sync. In the email, you will also get a link to view a list of new assets that have been added to AssetSonar through Kandji. Another way to view these new assets would be to check the Sync Logs in AssetSonar application.
Creating a Custom Report
Since you are now able to sync devices through Kandji, you can also create Custom Reports based on information fetched through this integration. From the Reports detail page, click on ‘Create Custom Report’. While creating this custom report, you can choose the discovery source or the last sync source to be Kandji and then run the report.
Creating Provisioning Rules
You can also create new provisioning rules to automatically assign assets that have been fetched through Kandji to specific Groups or Locations. From the Provisioning details page, go to the Assignment Rules and click on ‘Add Rule’. While adding the details, specify the source to be ‘Kandji’ before creating this new rule.