It is fairly simple to migrate item data to your EZRentOut database. All you need is your Items’ data in the excel sheets.
1. What can be imported?
You can import the following data into your EZRentOut account:
- Asset Stock
- Customers (explained in a separate post)
When importing item information, you can also create groups, locations, and vendors that these items are associated with.
Note: You can import a maximum of 1,000 records at a time.
2. Guidelines for the import
The process is virtually the same for importing assets, asset stock and inventory. You can also import additional data and make changes to existing items.
Before importing your data to EZRentOut, prepare your excel sheet.
2.1. Field mapping guide
Determine how columns in your Excel sheet map to fields in EZRentOut. Refer to our field mapping guide to map your columns correctly to EZRentOut.
2.2. Custom fields
If there are certain columns in your sheet that do not map to a field in EZRentOut, create custom fields for them before the import.
2.3. Late Fee
The Late Fee column accepts a rate so be sure to provide two values: the amount to charge and the duration that it applies to.
The amount should only contain the numerical value, not the currency. The currency is automatically registered in the system as per your specified currency format in EZRentOut.
The duration should be in one of the following formats:
Note that if you do not specify a duration, EZRentOut will apply a flat rate by default.
Finally, follow this format for entering your Late Fee rates:
Here are acceptable Late fee formats for reference, assuming currency is set to USD in your Company settings:
- 1 per_minute: this is read as $1 per minute
- 10 hourly: this is read as $10 per hour
- 25 monthly: this is read as $25 per month
2.4. Rental Meter Threshold
The Rental Meter Threshold column takes values in days, hours and minutes, in that exact order. When entering values, keep in mind that they are separated by a colon (:). Therefore, the acceptable format is (DD:HH:MM). Here are acceptable examples:
- User can enter a single value, e.g. 30, and the system automatically reads it as 30 minutes.
- User can enter 2 units at a time, e.g. 2D:3H for 2 days and 3 hours.
- User can enter all 3 units as well, e.g. 12D:6H:30M which the system reads as 12 days, 6 hours and 30 mins. Keep in mind that the user has to specify the highest unit first.
2.5. Other rules
- There should not be any merged cells in your excel sheet.
- There should only be one excel sheet in the file you’re uploading. If your items are spread across various sheets within the same file, split these sheets into separate excel files.
- All dates should be in mm/dd/yyyy format.
- For yes/no fields e.g. Retire?, add ‘yes’ against assets that should be in the retired state upon import.
- Asset Identification Numbers (if you’re using them) need to be unique. Ensure that there is no repetition of an Identification Number in your excel sheet. Moreover, they should only contain Alphabets and Numbers (no special characters, spaces etc).
- All names should be at least 3 characters long. For example, if you have a vendor called ‘HP’, rename it to ‘HP Laptops’.
- When importing inventory records, if you are specifying the quantity to be added to stock, Stock Price column must also be mapped.
3. Items to import
Import Assets from Items –> Assets –> Import from Excel Sheet –> Add New Assets. Asset Stock and Inventory import follows the same general pattern.
4. Upload Excel sheet
- For multiple imports, you may want to create a Mapping Template from New Import Template –> Map Columns –> Create Bulk Import Template so that it can be used in the future whenever you need it. Sample files are uploaded for your ease. All Custom fields are visible in the wizard when mapping the data columns.
- Or you can directly map the columns after you upload the excel sheet. Map columns in the same way as shown above.
- Once you’ve uploaded the excel sheet through a template, you’ll see a preview of the import. If you aren’t using a template, you’ll see the preview after mapping the columns. If you’re satisfied with how your items turned out after mapping the data, click on the Import button.
Note: Depending on your file size the uploading process might take some time. Do not take any action on the import wizard while the import is underway. You can, however, continue to work with EZRentOut in a new tab/window.
5. Before and after view
By using the ‘Import Items’ wizard, you will be able to push the mapped data into the EZRentOut Cloud and populate your new account. Here is a screenshot of how your data may look when imported from Excel file to mapping (Preview image before final import) and then to your EZRentOut account:
6. Import Items to Orders
Now you can also Import Items to add items to your Orders. Go to Order -> Add New Order. Drag down to Added items column and Click Import Items
Once you click Import Items, a 3-step overlay will appear as below:
The first step is to upload an Excel sheet that contains all Items and their details to be added to an Order. Click Upload and Proceed to move to Step 2
In step 2, Map your spreadsheet column to the template as shown below:
Once completed, you can click Proceed and preview and import items in Step 3:
You can view Items added in the Order below
Similarly, you can import Asset stocks, Inventory, and Bundles via CSV file .
6.1. Common errors while Importing Items to an Order
- Item type not mentioned correctly or left blank in Excel file
Please ensure that your Excel CSV file categorizes Items by their correct Item type. Any item type other than Asset, Asset stock, Inventory, Bundle, or Sub Rental or leaving the item type blank can be prompted as an error when uploading your file.
2. Asset cannot be imported more than once
If an Asset is imported separately and then added to the bundle items, this error will appear and the user will have to choose to import the Asset separately or in a bundle.
6. Bulk Import Summary
Import summary email is sent to the user every time an import is attempted. Issue(s) are also highlighted in case there is a failure during the import process. On the horizon: Bulk Import for Documents/Images feature
Have a question?
We love hearing from you! If you have any queries or confusions about EZRentOut, reach out to us at email@example.com and our support team will get back to you.