Did you just issue laptops to a group of new hires and want to track their IT data with AssetSonar? Manually deploying the AssetSonar Agent in each of the laptops is cumbersome and time-consuming.
We can help. The AssetSonar team offers you a pre-configured AssetSonar Agent that you can mass deploy across a group of Windows devices in your organization. You can either choose SCCM to deploy the Agent as an EXE file or define Group Policy settings via Group Policy Objects (GPO) to deploy the Agent using an MSI file.
In this article, we’ll guide you on how to mass deploy the Agent via GPO if you do not use SCCM.
Group Policy is an Active Directory management technology for Windows devices that provides centralized management and more granular control of configuration settings. You can use it to deploy the AssetSonar Agent across a network of domain-joined IT devices used by a certain group or department within your organization.
Before you start, consider these prerequisites.
- You should have a domain setup with Active Directory on Windows Server.
- You must have the AssetSonar Agent saved as an MSI file for the deployment. You can request one from us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You must have permission to edit the domain group policy.
2. Mass deploying the AssetSonar Agent via GPO
Now you are ready to mass deploy the AssetSonar Agent via GPO.
Let’s get started!
- Download the AssetSonar Agent’s MSI file and move it to a shared directory within the network used by your organization.
Make sure the domain users have access to the directory in which you place the file.
2. Now, hold the Windows key and press ‘R’ to open the Run box. Type ‘gpmc.msc’ and press ‘OK’.
3. This opens up the Group Policy Management panel. Right-click the Organizational Unit you want to deploy the Agent to and select ‘Create a GPO in this domain and Link it here…’
4. Give a name to the GPO. Let’s say, ‘Software Deployment’ and click ‘OK’.
5. Now, right-click the newly created GPO and select ‘Edit’.
6. This leads you to the Group Policy Management Editor. Go to Computer Configuration → Policies → Software Settings → Software Installation → New → Package.
7. Now, navigate to the shared folder where you placed the MSI file from Step 1. Click on the MSI file and hit ‘Open’.
8. Select ‘Assigned’ and then click ‘OK’.
9. The AssetSonar Agent is now visible inside the Editor. It will be automatically installed on all Windows devices inside the specified Organizational Unit once you restart the devices.
Note: We recommend using Jamf if you wish to mass deploy the AssetSonar Agent across macOS and iOS devices in your organization.
AssetSonar is a powerful IT Asset Management solution used by IT-intensive organizations and businesses all over the globe.
Sign up today for a free 15-day trial.